Wednesday, May 28, 2008

CHEESE


Today was my first attempt at making homemade cheese. I made mozzarella & ricotta cheese. I was very happy with the results! I purchased a "beginner's kit" from New England Cheesemaking (http://www.cheesemaking.com/) which included a DVD, book "Home Cheese Making", and a 30-minute Ricotta/Mozzarella Kit.

MOZZARELLA CHEESE
Here's the ingredients needed for making Mozzarella Cheese - whole milk, citric acid and rennet.

The milk heating in the pot.



After you add the rennet, the cheese curds & whey seperate.



The cheese curds after removing them from the pot.



Draining the excess whey off the cheese.



The finished product!! And yes it only took 30 minutes!!



WHOLE GOAT MILK RICOTTA CHEESE

Ingredients: Goat milk & apple cider vinegar

Heating the milk.

After adding the vinegar, the cheese curds & whey seperate very quickly.

Draining the ricotta.

The finished product!

2 comments:

YosemiteSammich said...

The guys at work are eager to try it! I hope there is some left out on the counter for me (like Santa Claus?) when I arrive home tonight...[hint hint]

Mom of thirteen said...

Looks yummy and not as hard to do as I thought it would be!

blessings,
jerri